Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Real First Post!

1. My name is Josh Dasch and I am from Burton, OH. I am a junior here at John Carroll University. My goal is to one day teach high school biology as well as be a football coach. I have been playing football since I was in 6th grade. I started out playing for the Geauga Lions and then played 4 years of high school football at Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin High School. Now, I am apart of the John Carroll University football team. Needless to say, I love football as well as other sports. I enjoy fishing, riding quads, working on cars, working out, and helping others. The biggest thing that sets me apart from most people is that I am very consistent in my actions. I always strive to work hard and treat others the way I want to be treated.


2. In order for me to take risks in the classroom, I need to feel that I am able to connect with my professor and ask questions that receive adequate responses. Personally, I feel as though it is very hard to excel in any classroom if the professor is stuck in their ways and has one mindset. For example, a teacher who tries not to give students the benefit of the doubt is doing more harm than good for the students learning sake. This may cause the student to be very unconfident and timid during class time.
    Seeing that I have been a student for 15 years now, I feel it is time for me to start passing along the knowledge that I have gained over my years in the classroom. I strongly believe that knowledge is to be learned and then passed along so that others may succeed. Personally, I know that I learn best when I am interacting with my professor and when they consistently hold my attention. I see myself as much more of a kinesthetic learner, rather than an audio or visual learner. I definitely am one of the students who tries to answer questions in class because this allows me to stay in tune with what is being talked about. I also think attending class is very important because when students miss one class, they are playing catch-up the rest of the semester. "stay ready so there is no need to get ready."


3. There are many memories that have gathered in my brain seeing that I have been a student for the majority of my life thus far. There is no exact memory that I can recall upon at this point in time, however, there are a few lessons I have learned that will stick with me forever. The biggest of these lessons is to not depend on others when accomplishing your academic goals. The only people any student should ever heavily depend on are their professors and all the resources they have around them. This leads me to my next point and that is that now-a-days, the amount of resources that surround students is almost ridiculous. There are resources all over that can help anyone accomplish anything they want. The only thing that separates almost every student is the effort that they put into their work. In order to get a lot out of life, you need to put in a lot. The amount of effort students put forth in their studies is what concerns me about education today. Too many people have become complacent and think just doing enough to get by is good enough. The work ethic of students is definitely a big issue that I look to address when I become a teacher.




4. Will we be able to choose some of the institutions that we observe throughout the semester?

No comments:

Post a Comment