Wednesday, October 15, 2014

blog post 6

After reading chapter 8 and learning about the banking concept of education, several things really stuck out to me. The first of which is the idea that teachers are "filling" their students brains with material that they have to know. To me, this sounds like students are forced to learn and if they do not actually comprehend what is being taught to them, it is their fault. In order for students to learn and comprehend to the best of their ability, they need the teacher to be passionate about what the student needs to learn. Personally, when I have to learn extensive material, I've found that I learn much better when I focus on piece by piece. When a teacher just throws a bunch of handouts in my face and makes me watch hours of power points and then tells me we have a test in a few days, I stress out and it makes learning the material much harder. However, when I feel as though my teacher is working with me rather than against me, I learn the material much better and I do not have to set aside hours and hours outside of class to try and absorb the load of information crammed in a short class period. The second topic in this chapter that really stuck out to me was problem-posing education. I really like the idea of thinking critically in "the way they exist in the world with which and in which they find themselves." To me, this means that before a student can learn about all that is around them in the world, they need to understand why they are learning the material they are and how this information translates into their everyday life. It also allows students to think of their future and how the information will help them down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment