Thursday, October 23, 2014

Field Blog Cleveland Heights High

   Visiting Cleveland Heights High School really opened up my mind to what other high schools are like. I only have personal experience in one private high school and that is Notre Dame - Cathedral Latin high school. When I was walking through the halls of Cleveland Heights however, it brought me right back to my high school days. They were some of the best times with some of the best people I will ever know. The teachers at Cleveland Heights were also similar to the teachers that I had at NDCL in the fact that they were all very welcoming and patient with their students. While observing my first class, I noticed that once the students walked in they were given a question that they had to fill out using their notes from the previous class. They were all given 5 minutes to come up with the correct answer and received points if they had the correct answer, I thought this was a great way to start class because this allowed the students to freshen up their minds about what they had been learning the day before and show that they had been taking adequate notes. The next thing the teacher did was ask a problem posing question. The question was about the difference between speed and velocity. Then, after calling on several students, she wrote the definition of the two on the smart board.
   The next class I observed was a physical science class. The students were being asked questions about elements, compounds, heterogeneous mixtures, and homogeneous mixtures. The teacher had a unique style of asking the questions. She did this by showing pictures of things such as fruit salad to show an example of heterogeneous mixtures. I thought this was a very creative way of showing visual learners how to remember the difference between a homogeneous mixture and heterogeneous mixture. Another technique the teacher used was allowing each student to have a white board and draw examples of what compounds and elements look like at the molecular level.
   Visiting CHHS made me very excited about the profession that I have chosen. I am really looking forward to changing the lives of students in a positive manner, as well as continuing to learn more about myself. I firmly believe that no one is ever to old to stop learning and should always try to pass along knowledge to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment